Friday, November 28, 2008
The Seminarian Dilemma
The seminary life is unique. Once people find out you are from the seminary it seems as though you are instantly tagged. I'm still trying to figure out if it is good or bad. Either way I don't like it, Cassie and I don't like it. In our church we have had to break the tag by letting people know what we are really like. So the ascetic of being a seminary student to the community isn't always a welcomed ascetic. I struggle with still being in school. Often I wish we could lead more "normal" lives (a life without being in school). But then again, what is normal. Part of being in seminary requires a constant view of the future while maintaining a handle on the present reality. Is it right to think in terms of "when I finally get my masters degree" or is it right to think "I'll do whatever is best for our family (Cassie and I) no matter how long seminary takes and whatever happens after seminary happens after seminary"? This is a big dilemma. Do you rush through school just to "get done on time" no matter what the 2 or 3 year sacrifice is, or do you sacrifice nothing and put the degree after family, friends, and lifestyle? So that is my question. What is really important in life? Does the end justify the means? Let me know what you think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment